Choosing a printer for art prints

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
logan ross Regular Member • Posts: 440
Re: Choosing a printer for art prints

luepc wrote:

Hi,

I'm starting my career as a professional illustrator and, until now, I've been ordering prints of my artwork at my local print shop. However, I've encountered a few issues with this, especially the high prices for both scanning and printing and the fact that it can take 1-2 weeks to get a single print ready.

I already have a decent scanner, but recently I've been looking for a printer to do my own art prints at home. I've also read a few threads in this forum about this matter, but I'd like to have some additional advice to make some decisions.

I still don't have a high volume of sales, so I'd like to prepare a wider range of illustration sizes and customize my printing, to have more products available with a wider price range. An A3 printer would suffice, I think, and if I needed a much better or larger print, I'd order it at a print shop.

I'm aware that cheaper printers won't give me what I need regarding color accuracy, but I also didn't want to spend a thousand (or more) on a new printer, as I still don't have much income. Both Canon Pixma Pro-100S and 10S have caught my eye. As far as I know, pigment ink offers better quality and durability to the prints, so I suppose Pro-10S would be the one to choose. However, I was a bit confused with the reviews I found for that model, and I got the idea that there are more people preferring Pro-100S over 10S.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the calibration factor. I have a display that covers 75% AdobeRGB, so I was hoping that I could find some settings that could help me "calibrate" my display with the printer output through some trial and error, without also having to invest in an actual calibrator, at least for now.

Could someone give me some more insight into these matters? Would you recommend any of the Pixma Pro stated above? Or are there other similar printers, also with ICC profiles available to download, and compatible with Canson printing paper? And do you think a calibrator is something really necessary at this point or is it something that I could think about at some other time?

Thank you in advance!

Forgot to mention, while the manufacturer profiles are generally decent, I find I get much better results with custom made profiles.  For calibrators that use the same x-rite equipment and software, you will likely get the same result no matter who makes the profiles.  I have been using Chromix.com for more than three years now.  Their profiles are the best I have come across and matching my monitor is a non-issue.  They design color management software and so they don’t just spit out the same generic profiles that other calibrators do.

The bottom line is that I need only provide them with a single letter size printed target to get an exceptional profile.  Even better, it is a reasonable fixed cost for their color valet pro service which gives you unlimited profiles for your specific printer for 18 months.  Finally, if you have a tough paper to profile, like a heavy textured matte or canvas, they offer a “deep scan” profile service on a per profile basis.  I have chosen the incremental cost service for the most textured papers I use, but truthfully I am not sure it was necessary to do so.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow