Macro flash alternatives

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Diswantsho
Diswantsho Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Macro flash alternatives

KonradE wrote:

Could somebody give some advise about best choice. I would like to have o good macro flash that i could use also at the distance range 0,3-2m. I have been looking at R1C1 second hand but I noticed that I could by Meikes MT24II cheeper. It seems that this is also more modern than the old R1C1. I would like to use the macro flash both with Nikon DSLR and the Z-models and mostly butterflies and plants.

I sold my R1C1 years ago and now use a normal flash.

The R1C1 use special batteries that was hard to get where I live. Out in the bright sun the wireless infrared trigger gave me issues, or I placed a hand in front of a rc flash while focusing, that blocked the signal. Ring flashes also give light directly from the lens, and I did not like the light quality I got. I only liked it when I photographed very small subjects beyond 1:1 magnification where the short focus distance imply the little heads then directed light from above or one side.

For butterflies, or any subject at 0,3 to 2m, I use the 200 f4 micro and attach the flash bracket to the lens foot, with a SB800 or SB900 on the bracket. I use a large diffuser for soft light and place the flash at an angle for more pleasing light.

Diswantsho's gear list:Diswantsho's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z7 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow