Large parabolic umbrella

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Regular Member • Posts: 423
Re: On power, and some other thoughts

Gato Amarillo wrote:

My first thought was 400 WS is marginal for so large modifier. But that's old thinking, at least for indoor use.

With today's cameras you can bump the ISO with really minimal effect on quality. Doubling the ISO is equivalent to doubling the WS, so for indoor use you should be able to shoot at 400 or 800 and have no problem.

Outdoors if you want to balance with sunlight is a different matter. For that you will probably want more power, unless you're keeping the modifier close to your subject. A lot depends on your style and what look you're going for.

You might want to look at the Photek Softlighter series for a large portable modifier -- essentially a large silver umbrella that comes with a front diffuser. Very much my favorite large modifier. Easy to set up, portable, and affordable.

Gato

soft lighter is one of my favorite modifier, but very different from a para which is hard focused light.....the beauty of the soft lighter IMO is the soft almost window light like quality....

-- hide signature --

schefz.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow