Potential R series buyer needs reality check about the AF system(s)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
shawnphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Potential R series buyer needs reality check about the AF system(s)

gedansky wrote:

I own the Canon 7D Mark II. And while there is a LOT to love, it came with what have turned into some deal breakers. The 65 crossover focus points compete for a focus lock rather than working together to map the subject, as I had first understood. So, like my REbel T6, where I have to turn off 8 of the 9 focus points so they don't compete, with the 7D MII, I turn off 64 of the 65 points MOST of the time. And, when shooting birds in flight, I shoot CenterPoint with some active surrounding focus points. But, I never keep all 65 points active because they seem to bounce around arbitrarily and grab whatever they can, even if it doesn't appear closer.
What REALLY I want is:
1) an AF system that uses multiple focal points that all work together to quickly bring my subject into sharp focus. NOT a bunch of focus points that need be shut off because they are all racing to grab whatever seems closest.
2) a decent frame rate in burst mode (7-10fps, at least) with a seemingly bottomless buffer
3) low to no noise at high ISO

I shoot diverse subject matter, from nature, landscapes, wildlife and BIF at one end, to architecture, cityscapes, and street photography at the other.
For the wildlife and birds in flight I tend to rent the Tamron 150-600mm G2. The rest of the time I use the Tamron 16-300mm "superzoom". I shoot the urban side with either the Tamron 16-300mm, Sigma 17-70mm or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM prime.
I know I can bring these with me if I get a converter.
Can I get the performance I want, and shoot the subject matter I want with the RP?

Do I need the R?

$1000 to $1300 or so for the RP would be great if it will actually do what I want.
Under $1700 or so, might be doable for the R at some point.
$4000 and up for the R6 and R5 needs to get paid for by being discovered as an artist.
Thanks for your input.

I need to get discovered as an artist also but somehow I got the R5, so maybe you can swing it if you figure something out.

Both posts have good info so far, but I will add that you may find trouble with 3rd party lenses on R series cameras.

There are a lot of reports about Tamron G2 lenses not working properly.

I was going to sell a guy my EOS R and when I put his Sigma EF 24-70 on the camera using the Canon adapter, the camera refused to turn on.

I never had a problem with my other Sigma Art lenses but the 24-70 was a no go.

Given all that I would sell all your gear and get the R6 + RF 24-240mm. Then save up for the RF 35 f/1.8 to replace your Sigma prime. My RF 24-240 is not great past 150mm but it is usable and on the R6 it should appear fairly sharp all the way to 240mm. The good news about that lens is that it is great wide open from 24mm to about 150mm. And the IS on the R6 should be legitimately impressive.

At that point you will have basically replicated your setup but with all the bells and whistles you want for not too much money.

-- hide signature --

Me Roar Less.

shawnphoto's gear list:shawnphoto's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow