Potential R series buyer needs reality check about the AF system(s)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 258
Potential R series buyer needs reality check about the AF system(s)

I own the Canon 7D Mark II.  And while there is a LOT to love, it came with what have turned into some deal breakers.  The 65 crossover focus points compete for a focus lock rather than working together to map the subject, as I had first understood.  So, like my REbel T6, where I have to turn off 8 of the 9 focus points so they don't compete, with the 7D MII, I turn off 64 of the 65 points MOST of the time.  And, when shooting birds in flight, I shoot CenterPoint with some active surrounding focus points.  But, I never keep all 65 points active because they seem to bounce around arbitrarily and grab whatever they can, even if it doesn't appear closer.  
What REALLY I want is:
1) an AF system that uses multiple focal points that all work together to quickly bring my subject into sharp focus.  NOT a bunch of focus points that need be shut off because they are all racing to grab whatever seems closest.  
2) a decent frame rate in burst mode  (7-10fps, at least) with a seemingly bottomless buffer
3) low to no noise at high ISO

I shoot diverse subject matter, from nature, landscapes, wildlife and BIF at one end, to architecture, cityscapes, and street photography at the other. 
For the wildlife and birds in flight I tend to rent the Tamron 150-600mm G2.  The rest of the time I use the Tamron 16-300mm "superzoom".  I shoot the urban side with either the Tamron 16-300mm, Sigma 17-70mm or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM prime. 
I know I can bring these with me if I get a converter.  
Can I get the performance I want, and shoot the subject matter I want with the RP?

Do I need the R?

$1000 to $1300 or so for the RP would be great if it will actually do what I want. 
Under $1700 or so, might be doable for the R at some point. 
$4000 and up for the R6 and R5 needs to get paid for by being discovered as an artist. 
Thanks for your input.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow