Please help me to choose the best one.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Re: Please help me to choose the best one.

First, I certainly empathize with your decision process.  I faced a similar decision a little over a year ago, and it's not insignificant.  I recommend you look at the image comparison tool here on DP Review .  I started with the D780 review because I knew it had the comparison tool, then added the D800e, D810 and D850.   One thing I noticed immediately was the chromatic abberation on the D850 and D800e seems much more noticable than on the D780 or D810--would not have expected that on the D850.  The colors are remarkably similar (which is what drew me to Nikon in the first place).

I have a D780, and in live view, it is a Z6 for all intents and purposes.  You have essentially two cameras, and the quality is excellent whichever mode you choose.  I shoot almost exclusively in RAW, and the image flexibility is simply outstanding.   If you look through the images on the compare tool, the D780 beats them all in noise, though you obviously have a lower resolution sensor.

The 810 and 850 can produce some stunning images with the higher resolution, and fringing and noise are easily fixed in post-processing, if you're into that.  I would personally avoid the 800e since it's approaching 9 years old.  Not that it's bad, but as others have pointed out, service could be an issue.  Plus, a LOT has happened in photography in the last 9 years. 

Ultimately, the best images are made 8 inches behind the camera.  As several have rightly noted, you and your skill have the greatest impact on ultimate image quality.  A pro with a D5600 can probably produce better images that a beginner with a D6.  It sounds like you have a great deal of experience--don't sell your own judgment short.

Best wishes on your decisions.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow