Topaz denoise Ai vs. Topaz sharpen Ai ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,493
Re: Topaz denoise Ai vs. Topaz sharpen Ai ?

Digital Nigel wrote:

rogerstpierre wrote:

Denoise AI uses the basic Sharpen model, which is fine when an already well focused image that needs some detail enhancing. Sharpen AI on the other hand has 3 different sharpening models, the basic Sharpen, one that is optimized for out of focus images (i.e. didn't quite nailed it) and one optimized for motion blurr. What model works best depends on your image. Sharpen AI is particularly good for rescuing motion blurred images, which Denoise AI won't do. Think of Sharpen AI as the tool for rescuing poorly focused images rather than just enhancing an already properly focused one.

The only mode that I find useful in Sharpen AI is Stabilize, which tends to add more value than artefacts.

Oddly, I get more value out of Sharpen AI Stabilize mode than I do Focus! For me, it seems even the excellent IBIS of my Olympus cameras, sometimes need a little extra help.  It is possible to create artefacts with Sharpen AI, but some artistic judgement on my part works wonders.

I think the takeaway from this is that both Sharpen and DeNoise offer a suite of tools that have SOME overlap in functionality, but they also each offer things that the other does not. They are the single two most important plugins in the Topaz line up, and I wouldn't want to do without either!

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow