RX10 IV "Not an Open Box" - Is there a way to evaluate that?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,606
Re: RX10 IV "Not an Open Box" - Is there a way to evaluate that?

PhotonTrapper wrote:

Thanks all for your detailed insights and advice. That helps.

Calling the store again, I had another rep admits that at least one of the 2 units is in fact a "demo", even though it is sold full price (he would not budge on that when I asked him). That made me wonder how many returned items (within the no charge return period, a week I think ) are just reset to factory, carefully repacked and also sold as "new", at full price, or if the client ever expresses some doubt, as "demo", which, according to them, is as good as new and deserves the same price tag anyway.

Incidentally, I am now wondering if the fact that Sony (and maybe other brands/models) does not facilitate easy tracking of usage after the unit exits the factory (which would be very easy, technically, to implement), for this model at least, is simply because its authorized sellers would have too much trouble getting rid of those demos and other quickly returned units with embarrassing odometers readings, that are best resold as "new". In another words, the generous 1-week return policy (no charge, no question asked) comes with its counterpart: a camera sold as "new" might not be so literally "new".

A bought/return to the store is not new or open box. Sold a second time: it then depends on what the seller will put on the receipt: your receipt would need to say new, open box (demo is an open box if the dealer calls it an open box).

IF/when warranty is registered (many never register the warranty), that is official start date and the serial # is in the system, and a copy of that receipt would need to be shown to Sony for the rest of the warranty (same as buying any used camera)..

In that case, will the store give you a copy of the original receipt? Best Buy definitely refused, it would have the prior person's information.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow