D800E better overall DR than both D850 and D810??

Started Feb 9, 2021 | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Forum Pro • Posts: 10,427
Re: DR consider also FW

photonut2008 wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

Nikon 79 wrote:

I see but at least on this comparison, it seems the D800e does better.
Though i might be wrong
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/14568146238

That comparison is a joke. They are ACR conversions of NEF files. The WB and exposures are different and it could be related to ACR conversion.

Take a look at these sample comparisons from DP Review. The comparison tool is much more reflective of reality. It lacks the color cast in the Ming Thein images, and the exposures are similar. I don't think most people would be able to differentiate the cameras unless they magnify the images to 100%. You can pick a favorite at 100% but it would never be visible in normal viewing of any size print.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d810/12

Testing is always fraught with uncertainties, especially when it isn't done side-by-side. While I'm skeptical about Ming Thein's comparison, when I went to look at DPR's studio scene the first thing that struck me looking at the Raw files was that the exposure times were different by a full stop -- I'm sure it could be different lighting, but then light spectrum is another variable (I remember doing side-by-side tests of my D200 and D300 cameras years ago and whereas the difference was somewhat in favor of the D300 in daylight, it was better than a stop better on the D300 under artificial lighting). Anyway, while I was initially able to get very close on the D800E and D810 using DPR's studio scene, I decided it was a fool's errand to spend time trying to verify something I'm just not going to encounter (I have a D800, rarely use it above ISO 6400, and I am not going to use any other camera when that situation does arise).

D800E native ISO max out at ISO6400 - ISO12800 is expanded ISO and DPR test shot shows that D800E at ISO12800 was exposed with 1stop more compared to D810.

And many expanded ISO applies NR even for the RAW files. Beyond ISO6400, the comparison is invalid.

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow