D800E better overall DR than both D850 and D810??

Started Feb 9, 2021 | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,054
Re: D800E better overall DR than both D850 and D810??

ericbowles wrote:

Those charts are correct, but you're splitting hairs and could not see the difference visually. I find there is also a difference in the quality of the noise that favors the newer cameras.

There are a lot of reasons to get a D850 over a D800E. I would not choose a camera based on Noise or Dynamic Range today. All current cameras are so close that the differentiating features are other factors. And the next camera released will almost always be better.

Hard to say if it's splitting hairs or not.  What the OP may not be considering is that the D800 has a base ISO of 100, while the D810 and D850 moved the base ISO to 64.  And the result at ISO 64 is a slight increase in DR over the D800.  And with the D850 they added dual gain.  So you have slightly higher max DR at ISO 64 and then gain back the high ISO scores through the use of dual gain.

I liked my D800E.  But never liked the idea of two AA filters on the sensor that cancelled each other out.  Blur the image and then unblur it.  To me that's just an additional "lens element" for no gain.  The D810 properly just did away with the cancelling AA filters.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow