K-5IIs to KP upgrade in lieu of K-3III - thoughts?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
amicah22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320
Re: K-5IIs to KP upgrade in lieu of K-3III - thoughts?

donnybrook wrote:

I bought my K-5IIs in March 2015 on Amazon at a discount well after the K-3 was released (Q4/2013) and just before the K-3II release in Q2/2015. Gotta saw that I still like my K-5IIs but it is coming on 6 years old and I was disappointed that the K-3II dropped the pop-up flash in lieu of GPS and astrotracer features, which don't appeal to me. Now the K-3III is due to be released soon in 2021 but at a rumoured starting price of US$1,900 (Sure to be over $2K Cdn) and still no built-in flash, I am wondering if a KP on sale might be a better buy. I have my eye on one at C$950.

Having had the K10D and K-7 previously, I have been a bit dismissive of the K-70 and KP or any "double-digit" body, being a bit snobby in wanting the top-of-line "single digit" bodies. I just did a search on this forum of comments from people who have upgraded to the KP and results are mixed. I would like the 24-MP sensor for cropping, the better high-ISO performance, magnesium alloy body, Prime IV processor and pop-up flash. The body layout is different and I might miss the top-body LCD display. And what is with the battery situation? I have the K-7/K-5 battery grip, one of the reasons I was so glad to upgrade to the K-5IIs back then. Can it be used? Not able to use my IR remote release either by the looks of it. Main lenses I use are DA21 Ltd,, Tamron 17-50/f2.8, DA15 Ltd and DA*60-250 occasionally (birds, airshows).

Regards to Jack Simpson if you're reading this!

-I went from the k5iis to the kp. The kp has better autofocus and better out of camera high iso performance. The k5iis has better per pixel sharpness and it's files are more versatile if you pp.

But this is the kicker for action shots: My k5iis will slow way down with a full buffer but the kp will absolutely not take a picture.

Aaron W.

amicah22's gear list:amicah22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax Optio A30 Pentax Optio S5i Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot S95 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow