'The Wave' in moonlight | Nikon D850 |Nikon 14-24 | [Image]

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lihkin
OP Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Re: Colors in moonlight, the Wave [Image]

dave gaines wrote:

This is an awesome photo. The reds are all there in the moonlight. I've shot moonlit shots in the desert before. I got the whole spectrum of colors, just as you did.

I used the D800E and the 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens, as you did. I used a longer exposure at a lower ISO. About 60 seconds. I'm not on my home computer or I'd look to see the exact settings, but it was as I said, a lower ISO and longer exposure. You can get star streaks and any clouds soften with a long exposure.

The wind sounds awful. Maybe a jug of water hanging on the tripod hook would stabilize it? The water could be used later for drinking water on the hike.

I've been very close to the Wave on previous trips to Utah and Arizona but never gotten in. I looked at getting permits once before. I believe half of the permits are given in advance and the other half are given out that day. I'd prefer to know if I can get in before I make the trip. I may have to try to get the permit and go.

Hi Dave - yeah, I did not want trails, so had kept the shutter speed at around 15 seconds for 14mm. I did also carry my star tracker and got around to processing that image yesterday. The one below is a blend with the sky being a stack of 17 images, each 90 seconds, ISO 640. I have some more that I need to process - it was a waning crescent moon, so there was moonlight too that washed out some of the stars. BTW, you must try to get a permit and go - it really is a special place.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow