Does animal eye focus give 'soft' looking results frequently for anyone else, or just me?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AccipiterQ
AccipiterQ Forum Member • Posts: 80
Does animal eye focus give 'soft' looking results frequently for anyone else, or just me?

I got the R5 and have been using it a ton for wildlife photography.  One of the features I like is the animal eye focus, but I have noticed that it does not capture tack-sharp results probably 75% of the time.  I'm using servo focus paired with it, and bound to another button on the back of the camera I have spot focus.  I've done a ton of testing, and the results for the eye focus WHEN it hits are spectacular....but often times the whole picture looks soft, it's like there's no plane of focus anywhere on it.  Is this just me?  I've tried multiple lenses, my primary being the 600 f4 iii, and the results are the same.

I've experimented when I've had a cooperative bird in my sights, and if I shoot a series with the eye-focus and then switch over using the other button to spot focus, over the eye, about 80% of the time the spot focus is superior.  Usually vastly so.  You can't compose the same as you can with the eye focus, which is one of the features I was looking forward to, but the results so far have been mediocre with it.

Any tips/ideas here?  I don't think my camera is defective, otherwise the animal eye AF would never  work, and that's not the case, it's just that a majority of the time it delievers subpar results.

AccipiterQ's gear list:AccipiterQ's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow