M10-R & M10-M DNG Support?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,509
Re: Capture One Support Clarity?

RSColo wrote:

What are the differences between ProStandard, DNG, DNG Native, and an ICC Profile? And how difficult is it to create a custom profile? And if someone else has created one, and shares it, is that as good as the other kinds of profiles? I guess I don't really understand what a camera profile is and how RAW software uses it. For example, I understand that Adobe is supposed to be using the new perspective information in the DNG file but that isn't working yet. Will others use it? I don't use my RAW files often, but when I do I really need quality support.

And why can't Leica just provide a profile that all the RAW software can use?

• ProStandard profiles are Capture 1's branded Camera Calibration Profiles (CCP).
  • DNG stands for "Digital Negative", the container file format based upon TIFF structure that Adobe developed and licenses for use essentially free of charge. (DNG has a nominal one-time license fee for developers who want to incorporate it.) DNG format includes in its specification an in-built CCP that developers can choose to populate at their option.
  • There is no commonly held standard definition of "DNG Native" ... it's simply a casual way of saying that a camera manufacturer has opted to encode their raw file output as a DNG file rather than as a manufacturer specific format.
  • According to the International Color Consortium (ICC,) ICC profile is a set of data that characterizes a color input or output device. The profiles typically describe the color attributes of a particular device by defining the mapping between the device source and a profile connection space.

Regards what a Camera Calibration Profile (CCP) is:

Cameras describe colors as a mixture of red, green and blue (RGB). The amount of each color is described by a number. The number combination (0,0,255) equals a dark, saturated blue color and (128,128,128) represents middle gray. Just like with people, each camera apparatus registers a color just a little bit different than another. One camera will describe a specific color as (100, 240, 100), whereas another camera will describe exactly the same color as (0, 237, 40). The CCP is a set of tailored constants applied during raw conversion that allow any camera's color responses to be calibrated to a standard for color management purposes, such that, for example, if you are trying to achieve the theoretical gray point defined as (128, 128, 128), you can use raw files from any number of cameras to output the same gray target to that same value.

I've found that Leica's default CCP incorporated in the Leica M, SL, and CL digital cameras I've had are not particularly well formed and create poor color maps compared to the Pantone standards used to define a Color Checker chart. Adobe's standard CCP for the SL, CL, M-P typ 240, and M-D typ 262 (those are the cameras I've owned and tested) have been right on the mark for that reference standard. I've also created CCPs using the Adobe DNG Profile Editor to cover niche lighting and use scenarios for which the standard CCP did not produce the results I wanted, and to cover cameras producing native DNG files prior to the release of profiles by the raw converter manufacturers.

Building good CCPs is a bit tedious and time consuming, but is not especially difficult using standard capture techniques and paying attention to details of the process. Raw conversion software vendors have to juggle the costs and amount of time needed to do it for the many waves of camera introductions each year, and of course they tend to cover the volume sellers prioritized over the niche camera models as a matter of economic necessity.

G

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow