D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Greg23D Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Hi

I guess the answer is 'who knows'.  Covid has slowed down sales in every luxury brand and type as well as more photographers moving to mirrorless systems.  I'm not interested in mirrorless for personal reasons but I'd like to know what the real trend is.  I know demand was high for the R5/6, but was manufacturing capacity maxed or was it limited due to Covid.  There are shortages in electronics in other areas like PS5's.

What I do know is that Canon has the R5 with a rumoured top tier mirrorless camera coming, and we have a bevy of Sony cameras and now the alpha 1.  What does Nikon have?  the z6/z7 and ii variations, plus z5 and a z50.  Great cameras but they don't set the world on fire like the d750 or d850 have done.   We Know Nikon has a stack of money but they can't keep on making losses without new products for people to buy, which they can't due to a lack of job security from the pandemic.

I do hope they bring out a successor to the D850 as there are a lot of F mount lens users and lenses to choose from and Nikon can hang on to the DSLR market for longer.  But I hope more that they bring out a mirrorless class of cameras to put them ahead or level with the market leaders and do it soon before more people invest in other systems.

Just my thoughts.

Greg

Greg23D's gear list:Greg23D's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow