Capture One Express (C1E) gripes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 130
Capture One Express (C1E) gripes

I've been trying C1 Express for Sony as an evaluation to decide whether to switch to that or even to purchase C1 Pro . I currently use Adobe Bridge as my catalog and Photoshop Elements + Camera Raw for editing. There are a few of things I don't like about C1, and I wonder whether it's just a configuration change I could make and whether the Pro version also does this.

(1) C1E seems to forget about location of its own Catalog. At least some of the times I launch it, a dialog pops up stating that "Capture One needs a Catalog to continue. Create a new Catalog or browse for an existing Catalog" and I must manually browse to my catalog.

(2) Limited support for and use of XMP files. Even if I set Preferences: Image: Metadata: Auto Sync Sidecar XMP: Full Sync and Prefer Sidecar XMP, only some of the basic image metadata (Description, Keywords, etc) is able to be viewed, edited, and saved. None of the Raw development parameters are saved in XMP (though I believe they are saved in C1E's proprietary catalog). I realize XMP was originally developed by Adobe, but it is an International Standard (ISO 16684) and should be supported by any self-respecting photo editing application.

(3) C1E litters my filesystem folders with empty directories (CaptureOne/Settings131) every time I do something with images in a folder.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow