Lenovo Legion specs

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
billzilla
billzilla Regular Member • Posts: 372
Re: Lenovo Legion specs

Venger wrote:

Lenovo has cropped up several times in my research and on reading the forum, it seems to feature regularly here too. I've taken onboard what others have said with regards to avoiding the ultra low voltage processors (those ending in 'U'), the fact that, as a minimum, you should have at least 16GB RAM and an M2 SSD drive could also be a benefit.

16GB is bare minimum for any substantial photo or video work. You will eat into 32GB with no problem, too. I got a new Lenovo Legion Y740 with 32GB max installed and it's sufficient but ideally I'd pick something with 64GB max.

I don't have much budget however, so again, taking the advice of others, I've been looking at Lenovo refurbished.

GBP 699 can buy me this :-

Legion 5i, 17" screen, 10th Gen i5 10300 H processor, 256GB M2 SSD, 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6

I'd suggest an i7 minimum and 8GB is not sufficient. 17" screen is fine if you aren't going to use a larger display but I don't recommend any laptop as your primary work screen.

The graphics card is not top of the line, either. RTX 2060 Max Q or better.

It's roughly a saving of GBP 150 on a brand new one and I'll be honest and say the thing that really appeals is the 17" screen, despite there only being 8GB RAM.

I'd be looking for refurbs.

Alternatively, for GBP 799, is a brand new IdeaPad s540, 10th Gen i7 10510 U processor, 16GB soldered RAM, 512GB M2 SSD, integrated graphics card but it only has a 13" screen.

I would not buy a system with 16GB soldered or integrated Intel graphics for doing photo or video work.

I appreciate that screen size will probably be more of a personal thing but is the U vs H processor a real deal breaker in terms of processor intensive operations ?

The other thing is, being in the UK, it seems that ordering from the Lenovo website directly involves the use of a company called Digital River who have just about the worst reviews I've ever seen for a company!

Did you mention your total budget? I didn't catch that.

billzilla's gear list:billzilla's gear list
Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow