D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,094
Read This Related Post, From Another Thread

TheNikonKnight wrote:

I have heard rumors of a Nikon D850 replacement as well as other conflicting rumors that the D850 could be the end of the DSLR line for Nikon.

Does anyone have any validity to either of these rumors or could shed any light either way on this subject?

Read this related post, especially the fifth paragraph.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64780945

Obviously, market forces will have the ultimate effect, but Nikon’s leadership appears willing to continue to serve the F-mount market.

There has to be a demand, to support the suppliers/manufacturers of that demand. My wife and I have provided two willing homes, for new D850 cameras, in 2018, which is two data points, that Nikon could use to assess DSLR demand. I bought two new D5 cameras, in 2018 and 2019, to add two more data points, for Nikon’s assessment of the USA market demand. We also bought two new D500 cameras, in 2017. All of these cameras were acquired from official Nikon USA dealers.

We have done our part, to “tell” Nikon that the DSLR demand is still strong. We may not be able to afford to upgrade, with each generation. Usually, we do not, but between a storm ruining some of my wife’s cameras, and my shifting away from Canon for birds and wildlife, we did buy a considerable number of Nikon bodies, in fiscal years 2017 to 2019.

If the question is whether to buy a D850, or wait for a potential successor, well, I would recommend buying the camera one needs, now, rather than miss opportunities, while waiting for that which my never be realized. If something happened to all of our cameras, today, I would try to replace them, as soon as possible, with current models, rather than wait.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +54 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow