Newb question about bulk photo upload from Z cameras

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
Re: Newb question about bulk photo upload from Z cameras

I simply insert SD card into the SD slot in the back of the iMac (27", 2015 build) and import. Mac "Photos" does not yet recognize the NEF files from Z50, so I'll import a RAW (NEF) file into either Nikon NX-D or DXO PL4 and process/convert there. If the file is a jpg then "Photos" handles it directly. If your laptop does not have an SD card slot, then using a "card reader" (they're pretty inexpensive) is definitely the way to go.  Trying to transfer wireless directly from the camera is slow, laborious, and chews up the camera battery.

One thing, don't forget to either delete the photos you've transferred from the card if you can.  Else the card will slowly fill up and the laptop will take more and more time to "look at all the photos" and you'll spend more and more time selecting the ones you want to d/l without repeating photos you've already put into the laptop.  Because I travel a lot (or did until Covid), I prefer to "save" photos on the SD card so I'll use several smaller SD cards rather than one larger one.  When a card gets full I just "lock and label" it and get a different card.

Once photos have been processed I'll then back them up on a separate SSD for security.

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow