Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,226
Re: Beginners Questions &Answers!

jlina wrote:

.. In general I found f4 on the fz300 to be much sharper than f 2.8. although f 2.8 is often touted as being an amazing invention. ...

One of the main importance of a a fast aperture (f/1.8, f/2.8, etc.) is in low lighting a faster aperture will allow MORE light to the sensor to be able to use of lower ISO and/ or faster shutter speed, and help with AF speed/ accuracy.

As I explained to you previously if lighting conditions  requires 400 ISO for proper exposure with f/2.8 and 1/60th shutter, a slower lens with a slower max f/5.6 aperture would require 1600 ISO which is a big jump for a 1/2.3" sensor.

Yes all zoom lenses (and some prime focal lenses) have better overall sharpness when stopped-down 1 - 2 stops from the max aperture.

Been well known on the Panasonic forum that the FZ200/ FZ300 25-600mm lens "sweet-spot' as to overall sharpness is f/4.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow