Sigma 60-600 D500 bird not in flight settings

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: Sigma 60-600 D500 bird not in flight settings

I think you are just seeing the limits of these Sigma super tele zoom lenses.

While not the same, my 150-600mm C lens produces similar thoughts when I use it on my D500... 600mm with a small subject further than 30-50 meters results in slightly soft details. I believe this is a combination of a small subject so less pixels, 600mm not being the sharpest of the lens, D500 crop factor compounding the softness and atmospheric factors.

Subjects that are much closer are much sharper but I'm always questioning if the lens is any good or not. Try some test shots at 60, 150, 300 and 600mm by moving to keep a test subject sized similarly in the frame and check sharpness of each focal length. I think you'll find 60 and 600mm softer than the mid range which means there isn't 'wrong' with your technique or the D500, but just the limits of a lens that provides convenience over absolute image quality.

I had actually been looking at the 60-600mm as a replacement but I don't think it will produce much better results at 600mm.

What I'm really lusting for is just a nice exotic tele prime lens...

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow