Considering surface pro 7

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bastibe Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Considering surface pro 7

I have tried to use the Surface Pro 7 (i7 8Gb) as my main editing machine for a few months, while minding our baby on the middle of the night.

Beware that only Capture One and Lightroom are actually fast enough to run smoothly on the Surface. ON1, Exposure, Silkypix, Darktable, RawTherapee, Affinity, Luminar, and ACDSee do run, but only in fits and starts, and some crash every now and then due to graphics driver issues. I haven't tested DxO.

The screen is somewhat small for editing, which can be a problem if you use a lot of modules. While a mouse and keyboard work well, the appeal of the Surface is in using it only with the pen and fingers, to save space. I found Lightroom Classic to be absolutely aggravating in that regard: miss the module scrollbar by one pixel and it hides all modules instead. Many functions are only available with keyboard shortcuts or menu entries, like enlarging the pen or switching between images. (Although there are plugins that can help). And then there is a terrible bug in some versions of windows 10 that eats the first few pixels of pen movements in Lightroom, making precise slider adjustments a pain.

Capture One is much smoother in all of these regards, and actually works reasonably well. Lightroom CC works fine, too, if that's your thing.

One thing I find absolutely awesome about the surface pro 7, is that it can be charged from any old USB charger with a USB-C cable. Even a phone charger works (albeit slowly). Thus I usually don't even bring a dedicated charger for the surface. I would definitely recommend getting the keyboard, though, if only to protect the screen when traveling. But it also transforms the Surface into quite a usable traditional laptop.

Overall, I was glad when I could return to my desktop for image editing, mostly on account of its much bigger screen and more ergonomic desk. But the surface did work for the task, and I still use it for that while traveling. Otherwise, I use the surface daily, and find it an extremely enjoyable device.

bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100T Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow