DSRL buying on 2021? Vs mirrorless

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP AM77 Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: DSRL buying on 2021? Vs mirrorless

Cato1040 wrote:

From the article:

1. DSLRs are much easier to work with in low light

• IMO: Depends
  • Some EVFs get really blurry and grainy in the dark while others literally let you see things you can't see with an OVF

2. You can shoot all day with a DSLR on a single battery

• IMO: generally true
  • Using the eye-level viewfinder, yes, DSLR batteries tend to last longer; however, with the new Z-type batteries, I find Sony cameras can last all day (and more) too
  • Also, these Sony cameras will outlast many DSLRs if people are using the rear screen

3. DSLRs feel much better in your hand

• IMO: subjective
  • I'd agree that larger cameras often feel better in the hand but Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic full-frame mirrorless bodies feel really good too
  • Also, sometimes I prefer a rangefinder-style camera
  • The reduced weight (assuming a good grip) can also make it easier on the hands for long periods of time

4. DSLRs allow you to comfortably view the scene with both eyes open

• IMO: True
  • However, having a blackout-free experience on Sony's high-end cameras that also have super high refresh rates can offset that advantage for those who can afford it

5. DSLRs offer a better lens selection

• IMO: False
  • You can adapt DSLR lenses onto mirrorless cameras
  • 'Better' is subjective. I love the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 largely because of its size and weight, and no DSLR lens can compete with that
  • Also, most of the newest lenses are being created for mirrorless systems only. For example, I think DPreview had the Sony 12-24mm f/2.8 as their lens of the year last year. Money being no issue, it's arguably the best ultrawide-angle zoom lens.

To me, the biggest advantage to DSLRs is the price. Because so many people are selling theirs to move to mirrorless and because there are more older options, their prices in the used market is significantly lower. You can get a really capable full-frame DSLR with the trifecta of f/2.8 zoom lenses for under $2000USD used.

Used, the cheapest full-frame mirrorless kit one can get is probably the Sony A7III with the three Tamron f/2.8 zoom lenses for around $3500USD.

I also think the closest you'll get to a mirrorless Canon 77D is the Fujifilm X-T200 or X-S10.

I haven't specified the budget, which is about $ 550-600  only body. That brought me to used DLSR (indeed I agree with you the biggest advantage is the price!): 77D and 80D the finalists,  and a new X-T200 which is in promotion here for about $580.

Said that, your considerations listed above may be agreeable or not, if referred to a generic DSLR category.

But taking into consideration:

• My budget
  • My preference for DSLR body style
  • My preference of fully articulated display
  • My preference for OVF vs average EVF
  • Battery duration

it simply does not exist a Mirrorless that can be chosen versus 77D or 80D.

If it does, please  write it down the model :))

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow