Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,474
Re: Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

bluzman wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm actually contemplating a D7200 (used) or a D7500.

My D7500 with either a Nikon AF-P DX 70-300 or Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary mounted is my go-to wildlife camera.

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d7500/

Yeah I'm starting to like the idea of the D7500 (except the fact is only has a single card slot) for price and size reasons (slightly thinner than a D500 and I feel I can get a better grip of the 7500 than I can on the D500)--plus it's a bit lighter too.

I might have to try out the Sigma. I've been leaning towards the Tamron but since they are priced basically the same, I might as well try it out and see. I have heard the Sigma is more evenly sharp over the frame (which is good for landscape work), but the Tamron has a few positives in its court too (faster AF, sharper in the middle/center I guess but softer corners--but it would be nice to have a lens that can double up as a widlife/landscape lens).  I had the AFP 70-300 and ended up returning it.  Maybe my copy wasn't all that great but i didn't feel it was all that sharp beyond about 250mm.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow