Hope for screw-drive lens fans?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: Hope for screw-drive lens fans?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Bijankc wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Mikael SB wrote:

It's just a matter of time before one gets released. It's an easy way to ease people into the Z-system, and adds to the legacy roster of available lenses. But as others have mentioned, its introduction will probably not appease the people who spend a lot of time complaining about it missing in the first place.

Screw driver lenses were outdated for more than 10 years now. It's time to let them go.

Not as simple as that.

There are some superb AF & AF-D lenses that are better than some mediocre AF-S lenses.

Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AF-D

It is not bad - for a 31 year old optic.

Nikon 60mm Micro AF-D

If you need an aperture ring - despite being a 31 year old optical design it is the only Nikon option.

If you do not then Nikon's MTF shows it is weak wide open in the corners.

The AF-S version has much sharper wide open corners, faster and quieter AF, nano coating - and was good enough to be chosen to take the portraits in Nikon's first 24 MP body brochure

Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AF-D

Nikon's MTF show it as weak for fine detail - right across the frame when used wide open.

This may be considered OK for 30 year old optical design.

If you want "soft" images for some portraiture - this can be done easily in post.

If you want the best resolution - particularly in the corners - you cannot add what a lens fails to capture.

Nikon 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 AF-D

The consensus was when the 24-70 f2.8 came out it was at least a stop ahead for resolution. Unfortunately when I got the 24-70 f2.8 I did not keep the test shots - but with the sun anywhere near the edge of the frame the nano coating put the 24-70 a long, long way ahead for flare - so far ahead that I instantly sold the 28-70.

I am not saying you cannot take good photos with these old optics that Nikon are in the process of discontinuing - though generally I find it easier to get better results more often with AF-S optics - and yet better with me S mount optics where they have been released.

Perhaps coming full circle - photographers had no problems focussing on an eye for around 150 years before eye AF was invented.

The plus of eye AF is you can get good eye focus more easily more often with a rapidly moving subject than before it existed.

These are very good lenses and there are many photographers who do not look at charts but the end results.

Bottom line is simple ... an adopter to AF Screw Drive lenses will be a good move for Nikon and from what we can hear in the Web, finally Nikon is going to build one ... BRAVO !!!

What I can not understand is that people actually talking against Nikon doing so ...

For what ?

Live and Let Live.

CHEERS !!!

Be safe

-- hide signature --
 Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow