Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,503
Re: Good "travel zoom" for Nikon DX Cameras?

NCB wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

OK thanks. No this is more for wildlife but I've had to rule out the D500 due to size and weight. The grip is feels too big to me (I have smaller hands) so adding a lens (like a 200-500) makes me feel like I'm going to drop the thing (this is partially why I went to the Z cameras--smaller lighter bodies, but they aren't really the best for wildlife, but great for travel and everything else).

I'm actually contemplating a D7200 (used) or a D7500.

Reckon spending time with the Zs, even if they may not get to where you want to with wildlife, is a very good idea. It takes time to work out what a camera will do, especially a newish range like this.

Also, there may be further Z developments coming up which may be of use to you.

I'd say based on my trials so far, I feel it's possible, and some of my misses could have been from skills/technique too, but I do still find that tracking with the Z's lags behind most of the more modern DSLRs (ie. those made in the last 4 years) from Nikon. I'm going to wait and try with my Z7 II which should be arriving this week and then decide if I really need a DX DSLR or if the Z7 II is capable (enough) for my needs.

The benefit there is I just then have to buy a long telephoto zoom for wildlife (which I was going to have to buy anyway regardless of what body I use).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow