What to expect from Nikon in 2021

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
visualenvy Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: What to expect from Nikon in 2021

My basic indication for future strategy and products is based on looking at what they have already released.

At the moment Nikon have covered the casual and standard photography crowd very well.

We have a lineup of good primes, the f2.8 'holy trinity' and some nice zooms. Landscape, portrait, events, architecture and general walk-around activities have great options right now.

What is lacking is long lenses and specialty lenses like macro, tilt-shift and fisheye. There are also those who want even smaller primes like the old f2.8 F mount variants.

The roadmap accounts for these already but we just need to wait and see how they fit in the priority list. All lenses that aren't telephoto will fit perfectly with the current bodies but are more niche and have lower sales volume. The telephoto lenses (especially fast primes) may come with the next generation of bodies.

As for camera bodies, it sounds like the crowd (me included) that want more are looking for something that is faster and more responsive for sports and wildlife as well as some wanting a super high MP model (not me).

I believe, given the competition, that Nikon is prioritizing a faster, more responsive body with moderate resolution and not looking for a 60+MP option at the moment.

If they want to produce and sell higher priced telephoto lenses they need a body that compliments them and can stand next to what the competition is offering.

An arbitrary list I just made up of what Nikon can release for 2021 into 2022

1. Compact primes 28mm f2.8, 40mm f2.8
2. Telephoto zoom 200-600mm
3. Macro and 24-105mm zoom
4. Z 8 with new body and improved AF (better video would be a plus)
5. Telephoto primes 300mm f2.8, 500mm f4, 600mm f5.6
6. PF Telephoto primes 300mm f4, 500mm f5.6
7. Fast primes 85mm f1.2, 105mm f1.4, 135mm f1.4

visualenvy's gear list:visualenvy's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Sony a6000 Nikon D500 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow