Platographer wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

MicahSYL wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

MicahSYL wrote:

Platographer wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Platographer wrote:

Are there any accessories that allow focus bracketing? I abandoned Panasonic because I couldn't find any device that would allow me to exposure bracket more than 1 EV apart (I wish reviewers would hammer Panasonic over this ridiculous limitation). I don't know why intervalometers/remote shutter releases didn't allow useful exposure bracketing, as they easily could. I'm not sure how an external device could add focus bracketing though.

I don't know either but others here say such things are available but haven't given details.

This is something MicahSYL indicated exists. If it did, that would be great, but it still wouldn't excuse the absence of in-body focus bracketing or validate his arguments and analogies to ridiculous hardware features like an attached lens on an ILC.

I am surprised that so many mentioned about Focus Stacking yet have not known that external controller existed years ago, and they have improved over the recent years.

A simple Google search on Focus Stacking with Sony will yield quite a fair YouTube tutorials and information on external controllers for remote control on the A7x series cameras. The commonly known ones are the Cam Ranger 2 and CamFi Pro Plus. Do check it up, and also remote flash/probe controllers that works with A7Rx. Cheers.

OK, I have checked them out. Agreed, I didn't know about them. I was aware of course of doing stacking by complete manual adjustments but it is cumbersome. Then I found it was being incorporated by other manufacturers directly into their cameras. It works well in those other cameras. I waited for Sony to add it.

The Camranger and Camfipro Plus (from the reviews) look like they were designed for an earlier eras cameras. Just not good enough for mirrorless cameras (that have live view by default) and electronic shutters. Too slow for each exposure, you could only use these for quite static images. Agreed, these would be fine for me but not for the many others who use stacking in the field. To use these devices today shortchanges the technology that you spent your money on with modern mirrorless cameras. Also, the CamRanger is very expensive. We are talking nearly $600 Australian. Why should Sony users be paying multi hundreds of dollars extra to duplicate abilities that are in fact built into the Sony but just don't have the relatively simple software controls added. Controls already available on cameras from other companies.

It is a bizarre oversight from Sony that will be costing them sales.

It high res landscape photography, I am afraid focus stacking will not work as expected in the field. As I did mentioned in earlier replies, the slightest breeze and wind and people movement will be disaster to a focus stack. Shooting a fly in high resolution even the mere movement of its feelers will ruin a stack.

Just the feelers slightest movement, and the stack is gone. This is an 2 cm tiger moth.

Thanks for pointing out the various reasons why it is benefit to have it. Just like the 200MP pixel shift function, which I don't use at all, so to some it might not be critical, but to some it might be. Cheers.

In landscape the normal procedure is to load the images into layers and manually blend the layers, keeping anything moving using the same layer. If you be are just loading into a stacking program it will cause lots of grief.
I can see the benefit of shooting a sequence of images quickly from a single shutter press but when I stack my landscapes I am choosing specific focus points based on the various subjects and their relative positions. So unlikely to use it.

for macro work I would love the feature.

I have never used focus bracketing, but wouldn't it allow you to preselect the focus points for your series of shots so that once you trigger the shutter all shots with exactly the focus you want are taken?

That would be a killer feature but a heck of a user interface challenge.

Not really. The Fuji X-T4 does it already. It allows you to select the old-fashioned way by specifying steps, # shots and steps interval and what have you,  but also has a newer option where you just select your 2 focus points (the closest & farthest) and the camera will figure out everything on its own.

In addition to my Fuji, i do have an A7R4 and knew its limitations when I bought it. I always hoped though that Sony would add the compressed lossless raw and focus bracketing at some point as a firmware upgrade (options the Fuji's had for a while). Seeing the A1 features, there is probably hope for the compression option but focus bracketing is very unlikely now.

mbo27's gear list:mbo27's gear list
Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow