Electronic shutter on the Sony A7R II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 466
Electronic shutter on the Sony A7R II

I'm slowly started to understand how astrophotography is done, and apparently one takes thousands of pictures for selection and stacking.

Was thinking to use my DSLR's but the mechanical shutter on those cameras is limited to only 100K to 200K actuations. Probably also causing vibration of repeated use.

Till I get a telescope, could use some of my Canon or Nikon telephotos with a planetary/DSO camera, but those lenses are mainly AF with very short throw for precise adjustments.

Another option is the Sony A7R II using AF adapters or native FE lenses. While the shutter is rated for 500K, has the option to use electronic shutter in a silent mode which probably causes less stress to the camera over time.

But will the sensor or the electronics get damaged because of high electronic shutter count? Will rolling shutter be an issue? The A7R II apparently also has some star "eating" algorithms when +30s exposure are used, not sure if that will be a problem? Maybe the sensor will get burned by the sun even when using ND filters?

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II +14 more
Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow