Finally, I found the best modular L-plate for the R5 and R6

Started Jan 30, 2021 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
R5D4
R5D4 Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Finally, I found the best modular L-plate for the R5 and R6

It's been a challenge for me to settle on a plate for the R5 ever since Really Right Stuff cancelled their modular design plate. I was looking forward to their design that would allow me to just detach the vertical when it's not needed. I don't shoot vertical tripod mounted often and I just need an option that mostly stays in the bag. I'm an event and portrait shooter and I need to be able to flip out that screen quickly and without interference, so the static designs with the "C" shape haven't been useful to me. I've tried the Promedia Gear design but the side vertical is huge and awkward to handle, and doesn't pack into my bags like normal. When detached, the Promedia vertical takes up a lot of space due to it's metal rods- nearly as much space as an entire L plate.

It turns out the best design was hiding in plain sight the whole time:

Smallrig Cage for R5/R6
SmallRig Camera Cage for Canon EOS R5 and R6 2982 B&H Photo Video

Smallrig APU2389 Arca-type quick release plate
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1496626-REG/smallrig_apu2389_arca_type_quick_release_plate.html/overview?sts=pi&pim=Y

I just got this today and have yet to put it through it's paces. I don't shoot video so having a full cage is a little excessive, but it has a lot of benefits. First and foremost, the left side is completely clear for the screen to swivel. The add-on plate can be mounted either pointed forward or backward. If mounted forward, there is no interference with the screen whatsoever. If mounted backwards, the screen can still deploy until it touches the plate at about a 45 degree angle in either up or down direction. This is an improvement on the RRS design of requiring screen acrobatics to "enter" the plate area first, and then be regulated to mostly horizontal positions. The design seems sturdy enough for my purposes when mounted on a tripod. There is an arca mount on the base, and tons of accessories that you can buy to attach just about anything you can imagine. I like the idea of having an always-ready cold shoe for a mic.

As a stills shooter, the handling with the cage on seems fine. It feels good in the hand, and the only button that seems in the least bit blocked is the light bulb button next to the screen. All other controls are accessed as if the cage were not there. I really like the 360 degree protection it offers.

My next step is to figure out how to attach a QD socket to the cage for my QD straps. That is the big strength of the RRS, Kirk and Promedia Gear plates as they have the QD integrated. I might end up with something like the RRS BQDS to add that functionality. Ultimately, the lack of a QD socket is the biggest drawback to this setup.

The cost of this setup is low compared to a lot of the options out there. $60 for the cage and $20 for the extra plate. What a steal! So far I am loving it. You can actually attach almost any arca plate to the side. I like this one because it is so small and light and will dissapear into my bag until needed. I like that it has brass spring buttons to keep it from sliding out of the clamp. Also having two screws keeps it from rotating. One drawback is the screws are not captured, so when you remove it you'll have to keep track of screws and the allen wrench.

The plate is so tiny

Accessory plate mounted pointed forward allows full access to the ports and screen.

If you mount the plate backwards, it blocks the screen after you hit about 45 degrees. Crucially, it does not touch the actual screen like the RRS design does.

R5D4's gear list:R5D4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow