Camera recommendation for 4k wildlife filming

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Luke Gr New Member • Posts: 3
Camera recommendation for 4k wildlife filming

Hello! I am looking for a 4k camera to shoot wildlife mostly in forests often with rough terrain (steep slopes, rocks, lush vegetation). I have experience with DSLR's but it's frustrating to lose good action setting up the tripod and everything. Mostly I will use a tripod but often I would have to film handheld (a lot of stealthy action between trees and such). I need a camera dedicated for filming to make my work easier that's why I'm inclining to go for a camcorder or something similar. Most important features to have would be :

- 4k capabilities

- a lot of zoom, integrated or achieved by adding lens (at least 500 mm / 20x)

- good focusing system (a lot of situations when I have to film between trees and branches)

- good built-in stabilization (for situations where I can't use the tripod and quick unexpected encounters)

- preferably good low light capabilities (shady forests)

- ability to shoot timelapse and slowmotion would be great too

My budget is somewhere between 2.000 - 3.000 $ but depending on situation I can increase it a bit.

I have no experience with camcorders but I did some research on the internet. For the moment I set my eyes upon the Canon XF400 camcorder mostly because I have the option to buy the Canon TL-U58 Tele-Converter Lens (1.5x) which would boost my zoom a lot allowing me to keep the distance between me and my shy subjects. Any recommendations are welcome.

I am new to the site. Thanks for having me and thank you in advance for the pointers!

Luke Gr's gear list:Luke Gr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow