Thank You Olympus, Part-2, My 40 years with 'M'

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,389
Thank You Olympus, Part-2, My 40 years with 'M'

'Blast from the past'

About 40 years ago, I replaced a broken Ricoh SLR with an Olympus OM-2n and Zuiko 50mm f/1.4, a giant upgrade that would help transform my photography.

It was 1981 and before long I was testing the (claimed) limits of it's radical new OTF automatic metering system with long exposure low light/night photography.

1980's Olympus OM-2 magazine advert:

A small local shop had one of these, I remember being initially intrigued by it's automatic long exposure 'OTF' capability and the TTL flash control.

Central Park, NYC, 1983 (sleepless at Parsons School of Design)

Automatic Exposure (aperture priority) OM-2n, OMZ 50/1.4

Lately, I've returned to my old manual focus Zuiko lenses, but compressed by optical reducers they have become abstracted 'Meta-Zuiko's', a new form.

The cameras still give me same trustworthy base they always have, but are now (even with the old lenses) much more powerful.

Unusual Weather Captured -- 'Polarizing Ice-Air Reflection Effect'

(edit: Now that I have looked this up, the effect is commonly referred to as, 'Ice Pillars', and is more known to occur in locations like Alaska, etc.

Quite, facet-nating! πŸ˜†

A grab shot that was a bit rushed, but it shows the peak levels of the 'ice-air' event best

focus on the ice, faster shutter. Decreasing intensity rapidly (settling crystals), by the time this was taken.

(Both photos, E-M1mk2 and 'Meta Zuiko' 32mm f/0.9, @ f/0.9)

Olympus really has been 'a faithful friend' in my photography for all this time, so I have a pretty solid, 40 years of reasons to be thankful!

Today's 'back to the future', 2-lens kit:

50/1.4, 24/2 (32/0.9, 15/1.2)

In Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 25i Bag

Coming soon: Thank You Olympus, Part-3! πŸ˜€

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow