Strobes direct light vs softbox or shoot through umbrella.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Alexis Cantury Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Strobes direct light vs softbox or shoot through umbrella.

LordKOTL wrote:

If you use bare flashes your light source will be very small with respect to your subject (unless you're shooting something smaller than the flashhead itself). Your light will be hard. Even if you use multiple flashes, in the areas where a single flash is the only illumination (the rest being shaded from the subject itself), the light will be hard within that zone. Hard light isn't bad, per se, but if you don't want shadows, you want softer light.

The only other thing I can think of is there might be a chance that your flashes have an uneven light beam with "hot spots" (I haven't used the strobes you're using), which could make getting even light over the subject difficult.

Either way, I think its well within the realm of possibility for you to not have to use a large softbox or umbrella, you just might have to play with the lighting a lot to get what you're going for. Good luck!

Hello there.

Yes. I tested with and without modifiers and found no different (compensating output power of the strobes and once I removed the outer shadows and white background). I think that even with the modifiers, seeing as how I use the four of them close to the piece, and ironing it so it is absolutely flat, the shadows are gone without the need of the modifiers.

Having said that, the thread was to get some opinions and ideas from you guys as to what difference in color or any other aspect can be different even if at looking at the photos I don't see any difference. What I mean is that maybe I don't see it but when you edit a bit more some parameter is worse or better with or without modifiers.

I hope what I said made any sense. In any case I wanted to know if there was something I was missing before starting because I have a lot of items to photograph and wanted to start with a somewhat decent plan.

Thanks for your time and your help. This forum is great and the opinions I get are of great value to me.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Alexis Cantury

Alexis Cantury's gear list:Alexis Cantury's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow