Replace current G-Technologies Ext Drive?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djcook Forum Member • Posts: 50
Replace current G-Technologies Ext Drive?

Greetings Friends,

I have been using a G-Technologies G-DOCK ev Thunderbolt external drive box with (2) 1TB G-Tech drives.  I purchased this unit new in early 2016, so almost 5 years old.  One drive contains my master images, the other is dedicated to Time Machine.  I also use SuperDuper to backup the system image and master images to separate portable drives on a rotation basis.  The drive is connected using the Apple Thunderbolt adapter which connects Thunderbolt 3 to the Thunderbolt 2 cable of the G-Tech drive box.

So my question is this.   Is it time to change this box out for a new device and drives?

I have occasional times when the TM drive does not mount on login.  More frequently as of late.  Sometimes a simple restart will bring it back on line.  Other times the restart will not bring it back, so I shut down the iMac (2017) disconnect, and reconnect the Thunderbolt cables.  I do notice that the Thunderbolt cable end connectors are quite warm, almost hot at times.  Also, the TM drive is quite warm when I eject it out of the box.  A Disk Utility check shows the drives to test OK, no errors.

I like the type of set up I have.  The G-Technologies drive box is quiet, great for desktop use, and I like having the externally powered unit rather than USB-connected drives.

Opinions?  Time to update? What other external drive boxes would you recommend?

Thanks,

Dave C

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow