Strobes direct light vs softbox or shoot through umbrella.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: Strobes direct light vs softbox or shoot through umbrella.

If you use bare flashes your light source will be very small with respect to your subject (unless you're shooting something smaller than the flashhead itself).  Your light will be hard.  Even if you use multiple flashes, in the areas where a single flash is the only illumination (the rest being shaded from the subject itself), the light will be hard within that zone.  Hard light isn't bad, per se, but if you don't want shadows, you want softer light.

The only other thing I can think of is there might be a chance that your flashes have an uneven light beam with "hot spots" (I haven't used the strobes you're using), which could make getting even light over the subject difficult.

Either way, I think its well within the realm of possibility for you to not have to use a large softbox or umbrella, you just might have to play with the lighting a lot to get what you're going for.  Good luck!

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow