Larger camera bodies for Sport and Wildlife?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 2,842
Larger camera bodies for Sport and Wildlife?

With the announcement of the excellent Sony A1. I'm still confused why Sony is still insistent on using A7 size camera bodies for sport and wildlife photography? I understand the A9 and now the A1 are both ideal for weddings and press conferences, however is it better to have a camera designed primary for the larger lenses like the 600mm F4 and the 400mm 2.8?

I shoot with M43 (shock horror) and funny enough I have the GX80 for my small lenses and the GH5 which is bigger than the A1 for my larger lenses. However, my larger lenses for my GH5 are lighter than the Canon 100-400. There is also the Panasonic G9 with a superior grip to of that of the GH5. I believe Fuji does smaller and larger bodies as well since their lenses are both small and large.

When watching the A1 promotion video, I noticed a few photographers had no room to place their pinky finger and others had to result to the battery grip. I personally hate adding the battery grip to a camera body and the only time I would consider one if I was a studio photographer. Other than that a camera with a battery grip would take up room in the camera bag.

For practical sense when it comes to larger lenses, I think it better if camera companies have a line or two of camera bodies with better ergonomics. For example keep the A7 series to the size of A73 (prefer the A7s3) and have the A1 and the A9 series the size of the a less thick Canon 5D. You have more space to better grip the camera bodies better and easier to handhold the larger lenses..

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow