Fuji X-E4: An (otherwise) great pocket camera, but is it for you ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
c2prods Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Fuji X-E4: An (otherwise) great pocket camera, but is it for you ?

afragisk wrote:

In terms of pocketable options, we know there is the X100 series but it cannot really accept different lenses, other than the screw-in adapters. There is also the X-## series, almost as small and with the big advantage of a flash. We also have the LX100 series. But at 41mm FF equivalent, it allows about a stop less light, maybe 1.5 stops given the updated Fuji sensor. On the other hand, it has about 2 stops OIS, so there is that if you shoot static subjects. Last but not least, we have the phones which, at daylight, do a pretty good job nowadays. Not so much with more interesting, not as bright, light though or indoors, so not quite there yet (ever?), hence we can safely exclude. There could be other options from canon and sony that I won't bother as we are then talking about a Fuji replacement as opposed to addition.

So, coupled with the 27mm, the X-E4 is the smallest of all. Not a small thing to disregard. If you want grip then you can usually add one and go big with bigger lenses. I mostly handhold my X-E2 from the lens anyway, including if I have an extra grip on as I don't trust holding the camera from the grip when walking.

So, here are a few things to think about that may help your buying decision:

Do you need to have a truly pocketable camera for those casual outings when the phone won't be good enough and assuming you do not have another camera for this ?

Yes, and it might even replace the bigger one.

Do you really go out often with a camera in your (jacket or shorts) pocket instead of a small bag or pouch - that can fit a slightly larger Fuji ?

Yes, there is a huge difference!!

Are you ok going out with just the 27mm ?

No, but it can take other lenses. It's still a good size with the f/2 primes… much better than an XPro 3 or else.

Are you willing to sacrifice Ibis, WR or other things missing in the X-E4 (keeping in mind the X-E4 is cheaper and smaller than cameras that offer such options) ?

Of course, no need for this

If the answers to these questions are not definitively or 90% positive then that camera is probably not for you.

I'm very happy Fuji continues the X-E line, I wish they made it even smaller. Like an interchangeable-lenses Ricoh GR. I could even skip the EVF.

c2prods's gear list:c2prods's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow