Histogram issue in DxO Photolab

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443
Re: Histogram issue in DxO Photolab

petrvv wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

I thought DxO worked in AdobeRGB, no? If so, and then it is getting converted to sRGB in PS that would explain the clipped blacks.

Bingo!

Yaaa, we can be some help once in a while!

When I export it with the AdobeRGB profile, the clipping of shadows disappears:

As my Canon R6 is set to sRGB,

Using the raw file it doesn't matter what you set your camera to.

exporting from DxO using Original ICC profile means it is displayed in AdobeRGB in Dxo, but converted to sRGB when exporting to JPG.

You can tell DxO what color space you wish to export in. I would choose AdobeRGB if you are going to do further editing in PS. And make sure your PS preferences are set to honor the imbedded profile.

What should be my workflow when I want sRGB jpg at the end? DxO works in AdobeRGB and this can't be changed. Should I set the camera to AdobeRGB as well?

No, that does not matter. I just leave my camera in sRGB all the time when shooting raw files.

Then only the final export would be converted to sRGB, although with the clipping of shadows (that I don't like...)

If you watch the image rather than the histogram, the image looks the same even though the histogram shows clipped blacks when you convert. I can't explain it but I quit worrying about the histogram when converting from AdobeRGB to sRGB.  That freaked me out at first too.

I keep my image in AdobeRGB (and full resolution) as long as possible in the workflow. That gives you the maximum amount of color to work with. At the very end I convert to sRGB in PS, then reduce the file size to 2048px (long way) for viewing on social media. A that point the color and contrast might need to be tweaked. And lastly I choose Save As, rename the file slightly, and choose jpeg for the file type.

Note that I would also save a high resolution tiff before converting to sRGB and low res, in case I want to re-visit the file for further editing. Or you can save a .psd file with all the layers intact.

Actually I use Lr rather than DxO so I work in ProPhoto color all the way until the end since Lr works in ProPhoto rather than AdobeRGB.

Now I realize that I don't know if sRGB/AdobeRGB applies also to RAW files or only JPGs from the camera? I shoot in RAW.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow