Why is my canon m50 never able to take good pictures indoors

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
drusus Contributing Member • Posts: 789
Re: Why is my canon m50 never able to take good pictures indoors

Thanu wrote:

Hello. I am a new photographer and desperately looking for help.

I work at a veterinary clinic and I need to take pictures for our website gallery, social media etc.

I have the kit lens at the moment, but I am ready to spend a little to get another lens. (again looking for recommendations as I do not know much about lenses)

Obviously, vet clinic means indoors, and pets move all the time. Therefore I cannot afford to go below 200 shutter speed for dogs.

At this shutter speed, even if the room has okay lighting, I get blurry pictures always.

ISO is usually above 800

And f, at the minimum available 3.5

Now, sometimes the camera captures faces of staff who are standing beside animals sharply, but the faces of the animals are blurry or out of focus.

What am I doing wrong? Please help

I agree with you that the first question is, what are you doing wrong. Then you can narrow down what you can do about it. I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. Whole photo is blurry = camera shake. This is unlikely at S=1/200 s and does not sound like what you describe

2. Dog is blurry, floor is sharp = dog moving too fast for S=1/200 s. This is possible but unlikely in the small confines of a clinic, unless the subject is a hyper-excited small dog. Solution would be to raise ISo so you can choose a faster shutter speed

3. Dog is blurry, other parts of the photo (like a person's face) are not = dog is not in focus. Follow the advice already given on focusing: learn how to select a focus point on your camera; place the dog's face on that focus point and half-press the shutter for half a second or so before fully pressing it. The half-press ensures the camera has time to adjust focus (if you did not already know this and you have been pressing the shutter immediately to full press, without briefly pausing at half-press, this can be a cause of out-of-focus pictures).

I agree with the comments who suggested posting an example. You can crop out people's faces if you want privacy. Seeing any part of a dog's body and a bit of the floor in front and behind it could be enough for many on this forum to figure out what the problem is.

As already mentioned, while a fast (=bright in photography jargon) prime lens like the Canon 22 mm will make it possible for you to get beautiful shots, these will have a shallow depth of field: dog in focus, everything in front and behind it blurry. If instead you want a view of an entire area, such as a room, or two dogs at different distances, a fast prime won't help. Instead, raise the ISO so you can increase your f stop for more depth of field (f=3.5 on the M50 should cover 3-4 feet of depth at a distance around 6-8 feet--just estimating in my head; there are depth-of-field calculators on the web if you want an accurate figure).

Regardless of whether the dogs might tolerate flash or not, using a flash so that it does not ruin a photo takes considerable experience. I would favor choosing the brightest-lit area instead.

If your ISO has to be very high and you get a lot of noise, one unorthodox solution is to convert the photos to black-and-white and artificially add grain (even Powerpoint can do this). This would give you a stylized look reminiscent of 1970s photojournalism, which can work as a look for a website.

Drusus

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow