Z50 telephoto lens(es) for small birds

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Bisonbison
Bisonbison Regular Member • Posts: 483
Re: Z50 telephoto lens(es) for small birds

I agree with some of the earlier commenters that the Sigma/Tamron 100-400mm lens would be a good option for this camera. I actually had one with my Z50, but have since sold it. I had the sigma version and the fact that it does not have a lens foot really made it inconvenient to carry around for my usage (I also carry binoculars).

Now, I use the 300mm pf and 1.4x teleconverter, which along with my Z50 gives an equivalent FF focal length of 630mm (300mm x1.4x tc x 1.5 crop factor of Z50). This in my opinion really hits the optimal weight to image quality for the type of birding I do. I had used a mft Panasonic G9 and 100-400mm combo, which is actually heavier than my current setup. I do miss the 800mm equivalent reach sometimes. But the general quality is better with the Z50. As with anyone photographing small birds, I wish I had a longer lens. Here are some examples of what I've been able to do with this combo. uncropped and lightly edited JPGs of mostly small birds.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow