Z6 II Eye and face focusing--Sux

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP HRS Regular Member • Posts: 338
Replacement body received. The verdict...no longer sux

I received the replacement Z6 II yesterday and gave it a test tonight. The new body must have been very recently made since it already had firmware 1.02 installed.

Preliminary conclusion: Although the example shown below is of an animal, and was shot with a different lens (AF-S Nikkor 85mm f1.8 on an FTZ adaptor), the new body is working just fine in detecting (and even focusing on) eyes. I took at least ten shots and all were spot-on. Focus settings were: AF-C, Wide-area (L-animals).

Now, this is very preliminary and I need to go back to the 24-70 F4 kit lens and human subjects, but so far I'm very satisfied with this sample of the Z6 II.

In the pics below, the viewfinder is shown focusing on the cat's right eye, and the highly cropped image from the camera shows the pupil exactly in focus. If you look closely, my reflection is in the the cat's pupil and it's very sharp.

Luckily, the two eyes were not in the same plane of focus, so it's very clear that the camera selected the correct one.

Cropped jpeg from the camera:

HRS's gear list:HRS's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
FKS
HRS
HRS
HRS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow