I'm really struggling here!!! laptop decisions.

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
billzilla
billzilla Regular Member • Posts: 372
Game laptops are a good option

You get a lot of bang for the buck with gaming rigs, it's a very competitive segment.

From around 2006 I went XPS, ASUS ROG, MSI Stealth and now a Lenovo Legion Y740 15". The ASUS was the most reliable, followed by the XPS and the Legion seems pretty solid. The MSI was abysmal. Failed/swelled battery within a year, LEDs died, loads of issues with the hardware HD controller and more. I won't ever own another MSI. I've also had bad luck with Razer products and wouldn't touch one of their laptops. HPI Omen is supposed to be pretty solid, as are the Acers.

My Y740 Legion 15.6" has i7-9750H, 500nit 1080P 144Hz IPS display, 32GB (max, you might want a system with 64 max), swapped both internal drives out to twin 2TB WD SSDs, Has an RTX 2070 Max Q but you can find this model with the RTX 2080 if you look around. The system goes for around $1500-1700 but I got the .5TB + 1TB model for $1300ish from a seller on Amazon.

billzilla's gear list:billzilla's gear list
Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow