A7R2 upgrade- A9 or A7R4?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmbillings Contributing Member • Posts: 675
A7R2 upgrade- A9 or A7R4?

Currently I use an A7R2. I've had it for almost 4 years so I'm thinking of an upgrade (no, I can't afford the A1!)

Primarily I shoot landscapes, but I am looking to experiment with wildlife a bit. I also occasionally shoot weddings/events. I've found my A7R2 autofocus a bit lacking, especially in lower light venues, leading to a bit of a spray-and-pray approach.

After watching a bunch of videos, I'm leaning towards the R4- whilst the AF on the A9 is still going to be much improved, I think the R4 would be "good enough"?

I own the 200-600 already and have read some people don't rate it on the A7R4- but this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hQJh-LX3M got some amazing looking shots with that combo, so perhaps the jury is out...
Thoughts? What would you say the main downsides of each one would be?

jmbillings's gear list:jmbillings's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow