Histogram issue in DxO Photolab

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,848
Re: Histogram issue in DxO Photolab

IanYorke wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

Interesting. What version of DXO-Photolab was this and were you assigning an ICC profile during export? I normally use C1 but don't see this behaviour with DXO and also where are "realistic colours" in DXO?

Ian

Installed my version of DxO PL to be able to answer your question. It is DxO PL 2.

When I edit a Raw image it photoshop and export it to disk it seems to do the "realistic colors" thing. Compared to file>Export for ICC profile... and select "export as realistic colorrendering" it gives the same result. It seems the images are exported in Adobe RGB and there is no indication of what color space the raw and the corresponding histogram is displayed in (it is not a Raw histogram, which you get if you export as linear Raw).

In the preferences I could not find any place where I could set the working color space or the color space for the exported file.

DxO seems to be aimed at people who want the editing to be simplified "automatic" and not be bothered by color management.

Sorry, I am even more confused now

Are you using DXO-Photolab as the options you mention I am not aware of?

Here is the export dialogue box for DXO Photolab, you can select the relevant ICC profile:

Ian

Ok, where do you set the working color space?

Each raw converter program uses its own internal colour space. I don't set a colour space in Light Room or Capture One they each do their own thing. Colour space is set on export.

When editing I need to know in  what color space the histogram is rendered. This can be set for instance in Photoshop already for Adobe Camera Raw.  This is essential for knowing what you are editing and that the color space is wide enough for your intended purpose.

Naturally you set your working space also for any non-raw image in Photoshop proper.  When you open a non-raw file in an other color space you are asked if you want to convert it to your working space or maintain the embedded ICC-profile.

Are you thinking of the default colour rendering used when a raw file is first opened, where sometimes you can choose "landscape", Portrait", linear etc?

No.

Ian

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow