Birds & BIFs through Sunset and Dusk (1/25/21)

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Justin,

zackiedawg wrote:

A mix of wetlands birds, some successful fishing by a heron, and some BIFs as the sun set and disappeared...all of the following shots were taken with the A6600 and FE 200-600mm G OSS and FE 100-400mm GM, and all are posted at 1800 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

It's always nice to see what you saw on those days I'm either too busy, or too bored to go out there myself. That's probably why I don't go as often as you do, because I can check my PC once or twice a week and see what was out there just by viewing your posts.

It's been a few weeks since I was there, so I'll try to make it up that way this weekend, hope to see you there if I do go.

Below are my favorite pictures.

The Grey-Headed Swamphen for the colors, sharpness, and background.

The Great Blue Heron because of how it shows the striking power of that big hard beak! It must have taken some serious FPE to penetrate through the scull of that fish.

A grey-headed swamphen grasping at a reed to pull it out of the water - these invasive birds only like to eat the root base of the reed, ripping it out to eat that one bit then dropping the rest of the reed in the water to rot

And after heading back to my car to swap lenses for the rest of the evening, as I was shooting past sunset and to dusk, the following were with the 100-400mm lens:

This great blue heron was walking along these deep water plants when he suddenly plunged down into the grassy waters, coming up with a very nice fish

Great blue herons always catch the largest fish - and have no trouble swallowing them whole

Comments, questions, critique always welcomed and encouraged!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow