D780 and Z owners - AF-C Single Focus - LiveView vs OVF any different?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
mrjpack Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: D780 and Z owners - AF-C Single Focus - LiveView vs OVF any different?

skyrunr wrote:

Thank you, that is all familiar to me and makes sense. I've experienced and worked through most of the issues you mentioned. I was even aware of the horizontal line focusing/subject issue before I got my first Z. I'm not quite ready to shoot everything with a 15 degree slant though; which resolves the line issue.

What is bothering me is that I'll focus on something just fine. Even without recomposing I'll take the shot with my slow roll shutter technique, and right before the shot its taken I hear the camera refocus. Having gone through all of the settings and modes as you'd suggested. Even after several months, I'm still not as comfortable/confident shooting as I was with my D500. I think that is a reasonable amount of time to decide if something is going to work for me or not.

I need a non-jittery mode. Perhaps the tolerances of a3, g4, and g5 do not let us adjust the thresholds wide enough. I'm hoping the D780 is the mix I need to have the best of both worlds. I'll give up the Z sharpness for focusing I'll more comfortable with. Not to mention the buttons and dials to get into the right mode more easily.

It seems to me that BBF would solve that issue.

mrjpack's gear list:mrjpack's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow