Why aren't sling bags more popular, compared to traditional shoulder bags?

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,882
Why aren't sling bags more popular, compared to traditional shoulder bags?

For really heavy loads, I can understand why backpacks are king: they distribute the weight more evenly upon our shoulders. (and chest, if they have a sternum strap)

For this poll, I'm thinking of sling bags vs. traditional shoulder-carried camera bags. I've used traditional shoulder bags since the 80s, and I suppose they are quite flexible: one can hang them off one shoulder with the top open and simply reach down inside. This is risky from a theft point of view in certain places. Wearing cross shoulder, they are not as comfortable as a sling bag, and less accessible too.

Sling bags, on the other hand, are ALMOST as comfortable to carry all day as a backpack, but are MUCH more accessible. Their shoulder straps tend to be wider and more well-padded. The shape of the shoulder strap and of the bag are such that they usually fit the human body better.

Is it just that we're a traditional lot and slow to change? Or has the collective "we" tried them and found them wanting?

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
POLL
Traditional shoulder bags are more flexible
21.2% 11  votes
Traditional shoulder bags are what I have, and I don't want to buy something new if I don't have to
5.8% 3  votes
Traditional shoulder bags are easier to store
0.0% 0  votes
Traditional shoulder bags are what I'm used to
9.6% 5  votes
Traditional shoulder bags make better use of storage space than sling bags
15.4% 8  votes
Other
48.1% 25  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow