200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

Started Aug 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,288
Re: 200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

owlseye wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

In the UK recently with a Nikon deal - including 20% sales tax - it was £9,800.

It is currently around £10,900. For this lens the UK price seems lower.

Wow!... that is a steep price cut.

In the UK the 600 PF is around £10,800 including sales tax.

Furthermore, the decision to invest in expensive F-mount glass is complicated by the less than transparent rollout of Z telephotos lenses. While we know that Nikon has Z lenses like the 100-400, 200-600, 400 prime, and 600 prime on their roadmap, we don't know anything about their maximum aperture, time of introduction, "real" availability, or price.

We know as the 400 and 600 have a large outline on the road map - they are fast aperture lenses.

We know, although unlikely within your budget, Sony so far has only 1 long fast prime, no 180-400 optic and no 300 or 500 PF - all good for wildlife at different points.

I find all of this terribly frustrating, and it has me looking at the competition.

As a wildlife and nature photographer, I could sell my current gear and easily slip into Sony with class leading AF and a 200-600mm internal zoom lens for both my wife and I, 70-200 f/4 lenses, and a pair of wide-angles without putting much money into the move.

Right now Sony has a wider lens range, though over time the lens range will be held back by the Sony narrow lens flange.

The Nikon 200-600 may be class leading over Sony - when it arrives.

Many do not accept Sony AF is class leading compared to the top Nikon and Canon pro DSLRs - the Canon R gives it a good run for the money - and Nikon are likely to announce pro bodies with improved AF soon.

Your situation seems a classic short term gain v long term pain decision - which only you can make.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow