200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

Started Aug 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
owlseye Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: 200-500 and 200-400 moving forward, e.g., Z.

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

owlseye wrote:

Nikon makes the amazing 180-400 w/ built in converter, but the lens ranges from $9500 (used) to $12,500 (new US).

In the UK recently with a Nikon deal - including 20% sales tax - it was £9,800.

It is currently around £10,900. For this lens the UK price seems lower.

Wow!... that is a steep price cut.

The lens price in the US has been stable. It is the same price point of the 600mm f/4E. My decision to spend this much money on a lens is fraught with conflict, as I am a teacher (translate... not rich with disposable income), and my income from photography and workshops/seminars has crashed precipitously since March, 2020. Furthermore, the decision to invest in expensive F-mount glass is complicated by the less than transparent rollout of Z telephotos lenses. While we know that Nikon has Z lenses like the 100-400, 200-600, 400 prime, and 600 prime on their roadmap, we don't know anything about their maximum aperture, time of introduction, "real" availability, or price. I find all of this terribly frustrating, and it has me looking at the competition.

As a wildlife and nature photographer, I could sell my current gear and easily slip into Sony with class leading AF and a 200-600mm internal zoom lens for both my wife and I, 70-200 f/4 lenses, and a pair of wide-angles without putting much money into the move.

At this point, I need Nikon to throw me a bone... tell me more about the two telephoto zoom lenses, show me more than shadow diagrams, and publish an anticipated release date. For the record, I do not want to move systems, as I am comfortable with the Nikon UI, but the lack of transparency and questionable business survivability, has my eyes wandering.

-- hide signature --

regards,
bruce

owlseye's gear list:owlseye's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow