Playing around with depth of field and I think I finally get it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixel Pooper Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
Re: Yeah - you got it!

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Pixel Pooper wrote:

Bob wrote:

One thing, though. "Bokeh" does not mean blurry background. Bokeh refers to the quality of the blurry parts. Smooth or coarse.

Many people use the term 'bokeh' to mean a blurry background...it's a common misunderstanding of the term.

This is a common misunderstanding of the term "bokeh".

No it isn't. The article you quote includes very early on "What we need is a word that specifically refers to the qualities that a lens imparts to objects in front and behind the plane of focus." And, indeed, the whole article is really about that.

You snipped that quote to make it sound more like it agrees with your misconceptions. If you don't remove the context it says:

"It's a measure of our lack of concern that we don't even have a standard term in English for the fuzzy parts of a picture. "Blur" comes closest, but covers too wide a territory (for example, motion blur, which has nothing to do with focus). What we need is a word that specifically refers to the qualities that a lens imparts to objects in front and behind the plane of focus."

Bokeh comes from the Japanese word boke which simply means blur or haze.

It's a common mistake to assume that words adopted from other languages must have the same meanings. If that were true then you'd be telling us that "camera" really means "room or chamber" and "lens" means "lentil".

I haven't made that mistake. In Japanese "boke" simply means blur or haze and can even be used to describe a confused mental state. In English it refers specifically to out of focus blur in a photograph.

If you read the articles, the term "bokeh" is used interchangeably to describe the quality of the blur, the quantity of the blur, and the blur itself, so the way the OP used the term is perfectly acceptable as it has been used that way since the very beginning of its usage in English.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow